Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have a printer office jet 4630 which says I need to put in

I have a printer office jet 4630 which says I need to put in a new ink cartridge (color). I bought a new ink cartridge, put it in and it tells me that there are problems with the cartridge. I purchased a new one, put it in and it says the same thing again. I shut it down to have it "reboot", turn it on again and it still has the same problem. What needs to be done to fix or?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model 4635 product no: B4LO4A, bought it approx 2 years ago
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac, outlook
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been an issue for 2 days. Nothing other than ink needed to be replaced
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

You are at www.justanswer.com services.
I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

do you get the same message with both old and new inks or they differ

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have the problem when I put in new inks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Put the old cartridge there is no problem--just states that I'm out of ink and need to replace.

remove the inks and turn off printer and unplug power cord

keep the ON button on printer pressed for 10 secs

wait for 2 mins

plug in power cord and turn on

use a cotton swab and clean the golden contacts on the ink cartridge and then insert in the printer ensuring it clicks into place

once done check if you still get the same error

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It still comes up with following ink cartridges need to be replaced (color)

Are you using generic ink cartridges or genuine Hp cartridges?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Genuine HP ink cartridges

The problem is with the print head however i would like you to swap the old cartridges and then put the new ones the problem is that the contacts are not made correctly that is the reason its not detecting the cartridges.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks

let me know if the old cartridges get detected even though they are empty. Shake them few times and then install it. Let me know the error.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I put the old one back in and it is printing the alignment page, which only prints part of the page because ink is gone from the old one.

If you print another page does it print half the page again?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

The print head is clogged. Run print head cleaning on the old cartrdiges for 2 to 3 times and then try the new cartridges. The new cartridges may have a problem as well.

Do you hae another set of new cartridges?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It still tells me that the color cartridge needs to be replaced

Do you have another set of new cartridges?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have two new ones that I have be trying to get to work and both say the same thing

If both comes up with the error then it has to be the print head which needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sounds like and looks like it-- thanks for your help

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. Feel free to ask if you have any question. Please provide a rating for the service, effort and the time by clicking on the stars located on the upper right corner of this page. Thanks