Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Photosmatt c4780 issue: when initializing, the unit makes a

VERY LOUD rat-a tat and...
Photosmatt c4780 issue: when initializing, the unit makes a VERY LOUD rat-a tat and grinding noise that started out-of- the- blue.Otherwise uniti prints just fine after that. Found online that this is not a rare event with this printer but did not find any helpful solutions. What do you think it is ?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: HP Photosmart c 4780 about 5 yrs old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac and el capitan
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: a week or so. No trigger that I can think of...
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
8/15/2017
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Followed recommended steps. On start up, however, the ratcheting sound still occurred. Next steps?
No. Tell me what to do next.
I prefer to continue for now without remote assistance. What can you advise next?

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

There is nothing else to be done here, this is a hardware defect and what you are hearing is gears in part of the mechanism grinding.

This would require repairs to correct and would not be feasible to do; as a 2010 model it is far past its designed 3 year service life. It would cost $200+ to fix while you could buy a brand new model with a fresh warranty for half that price. If it is working otherwise, you can hold on to it for as long as it will last, but I would expect other parts to continue to fail sooner than later.

I can recommend replacements for you, if you'd like.

Thanks for your help. I suspected that a hardware issue was the problem and I'm not surprised that the cost to repair is more than the cost of a new printer. So will soon buy a new one. Thanks again.

You're very welcome!

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2iDSGsO or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, Engineer