Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

The black ink will not print, WF 2540 Epson printer, This is…

Customer Question
The black ink will...

The black ink will not print

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

WF 2540 Epson printer

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Epson printer?

This is the second home and when we arrived it will not print the black ink only the colors. Action is called action is closed

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?

We are not technologically knowledgeable so we are desperate for help

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
8/6/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

It is normal to see the black nozzles fail first, as they tend to get the most use.

Your mention of using it at a 2nd home is concerning as well, as that indicates it may get infrequent use. That is a death sentence for inkjet printers, which are designed for regular and consistent use. If they go more than about a week without use the nozzles start to dry out and clog up, then when you do go to print eventually they overheat and are permanently damaged.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well into if not past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.