John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

After manual cleaning inserted a new black cartridge but

Customer Question

after manual cleaning inserted a new black cartridge but black print does not show at all
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: wf3640 about 3 yrs but at home and barely used
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: mac ios 9 i guess, but it showed very weak black at the first print, other colors are ok
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it had missing dots in black only - automatic cleaning did not help, thats why i did manual cleaning with print head cleaning kit about 1 hour ago
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  P. Kumar replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

we are sorry to hear that you had this experience. I'm Kumar and I'll assist you today.

Can you please let me know when you changed the black ink cartridge and when we received the low ink notification?

Thanks,

Kumar

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i cleaned the black print head manually - after that I put the cartridges back in, the black cartridge showed empty and the printer asked for replacement - since I had low ink information already received yesterday I exchanged the cartridge (black 252XL) - the first print had very weak black ink after that and now their is no black at all with the new cartridge
Expert:  P. Kumar replied 2 months ago.

First thing I would suggest is to replace the Black Ink that you got yesterday for a new one.

Second, most people do not change their cartridge(s) when the low ink light comes on. Instead they wait until they can see that the black or a color has run out. At this point there is no longer ink in all of the nozzles. If the cartridge or a color is empty enough to tell by looking at the printout, then some or all of the nozzles are filled with air. Air in nozzles can quite effectively block ink flow.

To take care of that, remove all that dried ink from the printhead. This is easily done with most printers. You simply remove the cartridge/printhead assembly and give the nozzles a quick swipe with a damp paper towel. There goes your dried ink. If that doesn't solve the problem, you can suck a small amount of ink out of the nozzles with a priming clip. That gets rid of any air and it only takes a couple seconds. Another quick swipe and all excess ink is removed. Easy when you can hold the printhead in your hand.

Please let me know if this helped. Please rate our service so that we can improve.

Thanks,

Kumar

Expert:  P. Kumar replied 2 months ago.

Please do let us know if that helped. Please do rate our service.

Thanks,

Kumar