Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have an IMac (2009) with OSX 10.6.8 and an HP Photosmart

Customer Question
6520. When I print a...
I have an IMac (2009) with OSX 10.6.8 and an HP Photosmart 6520. When I print a diagnostic page everything seems fine, but when I print a document, the black prints very faint. I have installed new ink cartrig. with no improvement. I have cleaned the heads with no improvement. --Pat
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: Quite a bit. I have used it for eight years, but I am no expert.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: NO.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just what I have described.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
8/5/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 3 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Maybe it depends upon what program you are printing from. Especially if it happens to be an Adobe program. Tell me what program it is.

Also, try going into the printer's advanced settings, and see if the Page Quality (or similar setting) is set to "Draft" - in which case, setting it to "Standard" or "High Quality" or similar, may help with the problem.

WORD DOCUMENT. If I change to a color like blue, it prints fine. It seems to be a problem with printing in black. I* know the cartridge is good because the text of the Print Quality Diagnostic page prints just fine.

Yes, I agree: the printer is fine and the ink is fine. But what setting for Print Quality do you see in your Print options? including the Advanced Options also. (If you need guidance in checking them, let me know.)

Tell me how to check. I think I know, but tell me anyway.

Go to Print.

Then, if necessary, click the arrow next to the Printer setting or theShow Details button to expand theprint window. It should look something like this:

https://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/wf7010/wf7010ug/source/printers/source/images/driver_captures_mac_business/mac_107_print.jpg

If so, click on Preview, then select Print Settings. Quality of print, should be there.

When I printed our conversation, it seems to be fine. When I go back to the word doc. that started all this and set the printer to plain paper best quality, nothing changes from before.

Interesting! OK, it's not quality - and it *is* in the MS Word program. We've made progress at least.

Now, to make sure I know what I am advising you about, please tell me the MS Word version you are using - e.g. 2013, 2007, that sort of 'year version' thing. To tell for sure, go to

Help

and then to About Microsoft Word

and it will tell you there.

Word for Mac 2011. Version: 14.4.0

OK...

Try System Preferences, then Print & Fax, select your printer specifically, and look for Options & Supplies, and see if Print Quality settings are there...

Also, in MS Word itself, look for

Print Layout tab

Page Setup group

click on dialog box launcher (little square with arrow) next to Page Setup

then on the Document tab, (or similar), under Print, make sure that Draft is NOT selected, that good or Standard Quality is selected.

Did all that. Still no change. It's time to terminate this process. We're getting nowhere. I would like to thank you for your time and effort, but stop. Get my deposit back. I will probably just buy a new version of Word.

Well, that's one - Expensive - way to go. Try Print Preview also, and try the Help - Detect and Repair option (if 2011 Word still has it.)

I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Thank you. I genuinely appreciate your effort.

You're welcome, and please have a great day.

John, Computer Science Engineer