Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Will not print black type. Other colors fine. Have cleaned…

Customer Question
Will not print black...

Will not print black type. Other colors fine. Have cleaned printer heads. Still no joy!

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

NX430 Guesstimate 4years old

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Dell all in one PC

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Printed out a B & W poster for a concert tomorrow no problems. Then went to Emirates website to find what hand baggage can be carried on international flights. Tried to print. No joy with B&w. Copied & Paste to Windows again no joy. Tried to print out other docos from files again same occured

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

It is normal to see the black nozzles fail first as they get the most use.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Thanks Nathan. I disconnected as the Just answer page indicated that $46 would be taken every month from my paypal account. One off OK but as I will now purchase a new computer further deductions from my account must not happen. Can you arrange this please as I am approaching 80 years old and cannot afford the monthly deduction which is not needed.

There is no requirement for a monthly service, it looks like you were on a one time fee only for the info I provided above.

I've sent a note to customer service to confirm that for you.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 7 months ago

Do you need more help with this?

Nathan, Engineer