Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Just brought an Epson XP-420. Very easy to set up with wI-fi…

Customer Question
Just brought an Epson...

Just brought an Epson XP-420. Very easy to set up with wI-fi etc but was disappointed that it doesn't draft print or only print black. It was very slow to print.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried running your printer's self-cleaning cycle? (Sometimes you have to run this several times to see results.)

Are there settings to print draft or black only. I checked but couldn't find any.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried wiping down the metal contacts on your printer and cartridges?

That doesn't answer my question

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
8/4/2017
Technician: Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert replied 1 year ago
Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert

Dear Client,

I am sorry to hear about that problem. My name is***** am a tech expert with 17 years of experience and will help you as good as I can.

Can you please first let me know if you are printing from Windows or Mac OS (the OS on your computer)?

Please type in the box below, then click on the "Send" button to send me your reply.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
windows
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its not worth it.

Thank you, ***** ***** Windows 10?

Thank you. Which program do you want to print in b/w / gray? Word or something else?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does that model have the facility to print draft or black only. that is the question.

Yes, and it depends on which operating system and which program you are printing from how to achieve that. That is the reason I am asking you these questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK as i did look into settings. I basically use Microsoft office suite of program's

Thank you. When printing from Word or any other Office program and once you have selected the printer, click "Properties" right below the selection box. In there, click on "Grayscale Printing". Do you see that option? It differs somewhat from printer to printer...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can see that it comes up with the choice of selecting colour or B & W, however it didn't show up yesterday when I first set it up.

I understand, but exactly that is the option that you will need to use. Is there anything else I can do for you please?

If you could please be so kind to "help me too", by giving me a 5 stars rating, because I am making a living from answering questions on JustAnswer and only get paid if you rate me with 5 stars, I would so much appreciate your efforts (just select 5 stars at the upper right corner of your screen and click "Submit").

Thank you very much and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just printed a page in B & W and it came out colour.

Did you check "Grayscale printing" and then clicked "OK" to confirm the dialog with the changed setting?

If this issue persists, I can offer you a quick remote session for $5 so that I can troubleshoot this for you remotely. No need for the usual price of $39 in this case. Would that help?

It could be an issue with the print spooler if it still prints in color, but I can fix this for your remotely after checking the Windows printing components.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no OK button just B & W . I only brought this printer yesterday. it should be sorted under warranty.

The printer is not at fault here, it most likely is a Windows issue with your computer by what you´ve described so far. Remember, we are not Epson, we are independent computer experts at JustAnswer. But I can still fix this for you remotely, it should be no problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't realise you weren't Epson as I googled for their help desk.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will discontinue this conversation,

Ah, I see! We are all independent computer experts here, working commission based for JustAnswer. I am from Germany for example.

Epson does not have a HelpDesk that would help you with the issue remotely, as far as I know. The $5 offer for a remote is pretty much the best you can get from an expert to fix this for you (to be honest).

The issue is not with the printer, but with your Windows installation (print spooler issue). Hence Epson is honestly not at fault here.

If you still could please be so kind to rate our conversation with 5 stars for the time I´ve spent to help you, that would be most appreciated, as JustAnswer only pays me if you rate me with 5 stars. Thank you so much.