Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Just Moved from FL to TX with our Brother Printer. It is a…

Customer Question
Just Moved from FL...

Just Moved from FL to TX with our Brother Printer. It is a DCP-7060D, about 4 yrs old that was working great before the move. The printer was packed in the original box with the same syrofoam & was not dropped in the move. Now it doesn't even start up after the move. Any suggestions on what might be the problem? Other electrical items work ok in the same outlet. I've never had any problems in the past other than jammed paper several times & have changed the cartridge a few times. Thanks for your help. Bill Tatro at***@******.***

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Dcp-7060D I purchased it on 10/10/2013 from Brother on the internet.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC windows 7-Professional

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It was working great before the move & then woyldn't start up 2 weeks later when we unpacked the box.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
8/2/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2011 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for a 5 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the stop/cancel button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer