Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

My XP830 would not print. EPson XP 830, maybe 4-6 months

Customer Question

My XP830 would not print.
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: EPson XP 830, maybe 4-6 months old. The screen said that I needed to replace 410XL cartridge, I aksed my grandson to do it and I don't think he waitrd for the carriage to reset to the change position. So, now, even with a full ink cartridge, it still tells me that I need to replace it even though the ink :monitor" onscreen shows that it is full. Is there a way to reset? I have since taken out properly and reinstalled to no avail.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: A PC with WIndows Home Edition of something. How can I find out what OS?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing. It all started after the printer stopped with the screen saying I needed to replace the cartridge and then was improperly done in not waiting for the cartridge to get to the proper position for changing. I was looking over his shoulder.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really, I just don't understand why the screen on the printer shows that I need to replace when I JNOW the cartridge is brand new and full. I buy my ink cartridges from Epson directly online.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know when you want to continue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ready.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
NO
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Please disconnect the power cord from the printer for 10 mins. and let me know, what happens after that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Another message to you in 10-15 mins
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Screen still says meed to replace 410XL.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Do you see any option on the screen to replace cartridge, like "Yes, replace now"

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Ok, did you used that option to replace the cartridge?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I.m not sure my grandson did the first time.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Then, most probably the new cartridge is defective, this can happen when the cartridge has manufacturing defects. You can get it replaced from the store from which you have bought it, but before that remove the cartridge and clean the contacts on the printhead with a cotton swab and IP alcohol and check the result.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm to replace with a new cartridge (I use Epsons ordered online) and clean the printer contacts for that cartridge and see what happens. Correct?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

First clean the contacts and if that do not help then get a replacement cartridge.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
got it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
probably tomorrow....no time tonight
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Ok, no problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did what you suggested and STILL not print and get the screen that says, "You need to replace the following cartridges 410/410XL. I had just replaced them both.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Did you bought another cartridge and tested with it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already had a set from Epson.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

I am very sorry that both the steps do not solve the problem, unfortunately, in that case, the firmware of the printer seems to be corrupt or the printhead, in both situation you have to send the printer to any repair shop.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is a lousy answer.
Do you understand why I am frustrated?
I can purchase a new one for a hundred bucks!
I'm VERY disappointed.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

I know this is a disappointing answer, but I asked you to get the printer to the repair shop as it is not possible to flash the firmware or replace the printhead at home. I cannot give you the answer to your satisfaction, I have to provide you with the answer, which is true and solve the problem. If this is a Canon printer, you could have replaced the printhead at home.