John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Can't get printer to work. Comes up with error message

Customer Question

Can't get printer to work. Comes up with error message saying to turn off printer and then turn on again. What does error 5200 mean? Can't find error codes in installation manual. This is a PIXMA MX330 model. Thanks.
JA: How are you connecting to your Pixma: wirelessly or by USB?
Customer: USB
JA: When did you last update the printer driver software?
Customer: ???????????? don't think I have ever done so.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just put in a new black ink cartridge. Don't know about the color cartridge. Would that prevent it from printing if it needed ink. Also, after I install new cartridges, it usually does it's little dance and prints out a test page. How do I do that manually? Thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  PC_Wizzard replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble.

The first step in trying to resolve the error code 5200 is to turn the printer off and wait several seconds before turning it back on. This may have the effect of resetting the ink level readers so that they read correctly.

If this does not work, the next step is to remove the power cord and completely unplug the printer. This may serve the same reset function as turning the printer on and off but might do the trick if the first step fails.

If the printer is plugged directly into an outlet and none of the above is working, try the following fix: turn the printer off, press the stop button and hold it down for 2 seconds, press the ON button, hold it and release the stop button, press the stop button five times then release together with the on button. The LCD screen will be blank and the printer will reset. The computer may say that new hardware is detected – you can just ignore that. Turn the printer off then turn it on one more time.

If you have tried all of the above and there is still no improvement to the error 5200 situation, you need to move on to changing out all of the ink cartridges. Even if they are mostly full, you need to just go ahead and put in all new ink. This can cause a reset in the ink level gauges as well, which might solve the problem.