Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I need help with my printer drum. It is a MFC-7340. USB. No…

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with my printer drum. It is a MFC-7340

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

USB

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

No idea

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2017
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 6 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to help you today. I may have some follow-up questions to help me better understand your question.

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
Can you let me know when you're ready to look at this and we will make a start.
Thanks
Kris

Ready

Ok - can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is on and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.
Let me know done
Regards
Kris

Done

Please start back up and tell me If the error clears

It did not

OK - what code does it give you with it?

Drum Error. I have replaced the drum and toner so both are new.

The following error messages will continue to appear if the drum counter was not reset when you replace the drum unit with a new one.

• Replace Drum
  • Drum End Soon
  • Drum Near End
  • Drum Stop

To clear these error messages, you need to reset the drum counter as instructed below.

If you want to clear an error message related to the toner replacement, click here to see how to clear an error message after you replaced the toner cartridge.

Please follow the steps below to reset the drum counter.
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.

The Brother machine has separate consumables the toner cartridge and the drum unit. Verify you replace only the drum unit and not the toner cartridge. If you want to know their difference, refer to "What is the difference between the toner cartridge and the drum unit?"

Please reset the drum counter only when you replace the drum unit. If you reset the drum counter during the life of the drum unit currently being used, the remaining drum life will not be displayed accurately.

1. Make sure that the machine is turned on.
  2. Open the front cover.

3. Press Clear or Clear/Back on the control panel. 
    NOTE: The layout of a control panel differs depending on the model, but the Clear or Clear/Back button is located on the right side of the LCD screen as shown in illustration.

4. Do one of the following.
    • If your Brother machine has a numeric keypad:
      Press 1 to reset the drum counter.
    • If your Brother machine doesn't have a numeric keypad:
      Press the Up Arrow Key to reset the drum counter.
  5. When the LCD shows Accepted, close the front cover.

Assuming you did the reset checklist from their website?

It won't allow me to access options. I hit the button and nothing happens

Sounds like a hardware issue, is it under warrenty?

It usually $100 of the time works when you do that.

Not sure. It is 7 years old? How long is the warranty generally?

3 years.

I am stuck here, I will opt out for another epxert to have a go.

It's fine. I'm just going to replace it.
Technician: Richard, Technician replied 6 months ago
Richard, Technician

Hi there and welcome

Can you remove the drums and toner and clean out the areas where they go using a damp cloth (make sure to first unpllug the printer from the power)

then let it dry for 10 minutes, put the drum and toner back in and power it on.

Tell me if it then functions please.

Did not work

ok, when you replaced the Drum, did you put a new one in it?

Thanks

It is the internal mainboard that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard, Technician