Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My Canon Pixma Printer is sending an ALARM, THE INK ABSORBER…

Customer Question
My Canon Pixma Printer...

My Canon Pixma Printer is sending an ALARM, THE INK ABSORBER IS ALMOST FULL. Can I fix this myself?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

MP145

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Pixma?

A few days

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

No update

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?

I have located on my own the ink absorber.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
7/31/2017
Technician: R Hefner, Computer Engineer and Instructor replied 11 months ago
R Hefner
R Hefner, Computer Engineer and Instructor

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Yes you can clean the ink absorber yourself

The ink absorber is in the print head of the canon printer.

1. Fill a large bowl with warm, soapy water and set it aside. Put on the rubber gloves.

2. Open the ink cartridge compartment. Depending on your Canon printer model, this compartment may be in the front or the back of the machine.

3. Wait for the ink cartridges to move all the way over, then disconnect the printer's power cord.

4. Look for a black rubber frame under the ink cartridge assembly. This contains the ink absorbing pads.

5. Pull the rubber frame out of the printer and remove the ink absorbing pads. The number of pads varies by model.

6. Place the pads in the bowl. Rub and squeeze them to remove the ink. When the water becomes opaque with ink, discard the solution and refill the bowl with more warm, soapy water. Continue this procedure until all ink is removed from the pads.

7. Squeeze the excess water from the pads and place them on a stack of three or four paper towels to dry.

8. Check the pads every hour to determine if they are dry. If the paper towels become saturated, change them out.

9. Place the pads back in the rubber frame when they are completely dry. Reinstall the frame in the printer.

10. Press and hold the "Power" button and reconnect the power cord. When the printer comes on, release the button. Wait five seconds and push the "Power" button again. This resets the printer's internal memory and overrides the "Ink Absorber Full" error code.