John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Bear with me I'm a slow typer. I'm receiving error 5Boo on

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, bear with me I'm a slow typer. I'm receiving error 5Boo on Canon MP490 and my attempts to reset have so far failed.
JA: Is your MP490 displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?
Customer: I can't even get it to print. Every time I restart it it goes right to the 5B00 error screen and the printer is basdically useless, no functions or controls.
JA: When did you last update the printer driver software?
Customer: Running Windows 10 and my update history seems to suggest that the driver has been updated automatically very recently, but haven't attempted a manual driver update.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything off hand.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Kris R replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to help you today. I may have some follow-up questions to help me better understand your question.

Expert:  Kris R replied 2 months ago.

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
Can you let me know when you're ready to look at this and we will make a start.
Thanks
Kris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm ready now.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not want to switch to Secure Remote Assistance.
Expert:  Kris R replied 2 months ago.

Ok - can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is on and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.
Let me know done
Regards
Kris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
done
Expert:  Kris R replied 2 months ago.

Did it make a difference?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. When I reconnected the power and turn it on it goes to copy screen, then immediately to error 5B00 window and no controls work except power button.
Expert:  Kris R replied 2 months ago.

OK - when was it purchased?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have to break from this chat for a while. If you send a response I will see it later and respond accordingly. You maybe should know that I have googled the problem and attempted resets several times with no results; and also that I am aware this is a 'waste ink blotter full' error. Thanks for your patience. Will reconnect a little later.
Expert:  Kris R replied 2 months ago.

OK thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm back Kris. Are you still there? To answer your last question, I believe the printer was purchased in 2011.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Anyone there?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, latest update: While waiting for a response, I have googled for solutions to the 5B00 error on my Canon MP490 printer. I have run a manual driver update with device manager, and checked with Windows Update for any new drivers. Results were that the correct drivers are installed. I've looked for resetter software to download; none available in my search for MP490. I've performed reset procedures with no result. Part of the problem with the procedures, as I read them, is that in the first steps to put the printer in Service Mode, my printer's display shows 'Idle' immediately following 'Service Mode' which one post said means the printer is not in service mode. Please help. I know the printer is old and replacing it would be relatively inexpensive, but I just spent nearly $60 on ink cartridges (one of which was freshly installed before the error) that apparently aren't used in any Canon printers available new. That's almost double the cost of a new printer. Thank you for help in this.
Expert:  Kris R replied 2 months ago.

Yes I'm here I see you are back let me know when you're ready to continue