John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

07/30/17 1:33pm PDT, HP7280, Four hours, several years, I'll

Customer Question

07/30/17 1:33pm PDT
JA: What's the brand and model of your printer?
Customer: HP7280
JA: How long has this been going on with your printer?
Customer: Four hours
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: several years
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'll be grateful for your help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  UranIT replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Serge and I will try my best to assist you.

What seems to be an issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HP scanner has worked smoothly in the past on my Mac OS X 10.8.5 and HP 7280. It has suddenly stopped functioning.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not choose to switch to Secure Remote Assistance
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll be grateful for your help.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The scanner still does not work. Why am I being billed?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me some more about the problem - first, is the HP 7280 connected to the Apple computer with a USB cable, or is it on a wireless connection?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for getting in touch with me. Connection is wireless.

OK, wireless then. Can you print, currently? this is vital to ask, it determines whether the printer is actually connected via wireless to (ultimately) the computer.

Let me know, and I will advise you as to what steps to regain, or to gain, the scanning function.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks again. Printing is just fine.

Good. Now, tell me what the MAC OS X version (10.X version #) is on your computer, please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Mac OS X 10.8.5 and HP 7280.

OK, thanks... I am preparing instructions...

There is no downloadable scanning driver for that MAC OS X version offered for that model of printer by HP. I need to ask, do you have scanning software you were thinking of using with this HP 7280 printer? or software that formerly worked to do scanning with this HP 7280?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The software that formerly worked to do scanning with this HP 7280 worked just fine. If you are asking whether I have a CD or other source from which I can download this software again, to the best of my knowledge the answer is "no."

What was the 'software that formerly worked to do scanning with this HP 7280' ? HP Director? something else? do you still have that software on your computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The software may have been "HP Connection Manager." It appears to still be in place, but is marked "offline" no matter what I do.

Given everything, I think it is best that a more MAC OS X -oriented Expert take on the case. Perhaps HP Conn. Man. can be reconfigured correctly, and that may be all the problem is. But that is a piece of HP software that I do not know well enough to advise you on. I have Opted Out, with apologies, opening the case to other Experts in this category.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you resolve your problem.

It is a common problem for all-in-one printers to lose their scanner connection while retaining their printer connection. There is no separate scanner software; the multifunction printer drivers control both the printer and scanner functions. The solution to your problem is to reinstall the drivers. I can show you how to do this. Please let me know when you are ready to continue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How about Monday morning 07/31/07, after 10:00am PDT? THANK YOU!

That works for me. Let's look for each other online then!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm grateful for your help! I look forward with pleasure to getting together again here at 10am today, Monday, July 31, 2017.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Shall I continue waiting for us to meet here this morning as agreed?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hope that your are well. Shall we simply shake hands and say goodbye?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm still waiting to receive word from you. I have additional information.

I am here to help you now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How shall we proceed?

Greetings. I am so glad that you returned to this session. I apologize for not being here sooner. I got distracted with other things earlier this afternoon.

I want to try to fix your problem the easy way first. If that doesn't work, I Have a longer method that always works. Okay/

Do you have any other printers configured on your Mac>

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no printers other than my HPP 7280 configured on my Mac OS X 10.8.5.Your strategy of aiming to "fix the problem the easy way first" makes sense to me. Yesterday afternoon, having received no word from you in the morning as planned, I disconnected and reconnected the printer's power supply, and found that the scanner then worked just fine although it had not functioned during the previous 24 hours.

Thank you for the information. It is really unusual for that quick fix to reestablish the scanner connection. Are you currently experiencing any problems with your printer or scanner?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am now experiencing no problems with my printer or scanner.

That's great! Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know how either you or any of the other three JustAnswer people with whom I've interacted have helped me at all so far. Now, given your appreciation for my having told you about the simple way in which I solved my non-functioning scanner problem, can you arrange for my payments to be refunded and for me to receive a complimentary top-level permanent membership in JustAnswer?

There is no charge for our service unless you indicate that you are satisfied with the answer you have received to your question by selecting the stars in our 5-star rating system. I have not enabled the rating system since your problem was not solved here. Your $5 deposit will also be returned automatically.

If you prefer, I can submit a request to Customer Service for an immediate refund of your deposit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The automatic return of my $5 deposit sounds fine to me, and I'm glad that I will not be charged for service. Thank you for our interactions, even though, in your words, "the problem was not solved here." I wish you well.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, and have a wonderful evening!