Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I cannot scan. I am able to print, however. I printed a

Customer Question
network configuration sheet, and it...
I cannot scan. I am able to print, however. I printed a network configuration sheet, and it appears that the Brother Online Con. is disabled. I've tried restarting my PC and the printer to no avail. Not sure how to enable it.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's about 1 1/2 years old. Model: MFC-J870DW
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: It's a HP laptop. I'm using Window 7. I've always been able to scan in the past.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The last time I scanned a document was on 6/23.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of at the moment.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
7/30/2017
Technician: Jason Jones, Technician replied 3 months ago
Jason Jones, Technician

I am the person that will be helping you today. Before we begin, please, understand that responding to my questions does not cost more. Also, me responding does not cost more.

May I ask how the printer is connected to your system? (usb, wifi, network, etc)

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

Wifi. Yes, you can connect remotely.

Thank you. I will get that ready for you. After you click the "Securely Connect" button for the remote service, the remote link will be posted here. That will be the last charge for today.

I really do not want to pay an additional fee. Let's try without remote connection first.

I understand. How are you trying to make the scans? Are you doing it from the computer or by pressing the buttons on the printer?

I'm confused. What was the initial fee for?
I am trying to scan from the computer as I have always done.

Which fee are you referring to? You have been charged a total of $23.

That is what I am referring to. I do not understand why an additional $39 was requested when we connected. But let's leave that aside for now. I am frustrated and need to scan a document. I would like to focus on that.

What happens when you attempt to make a scan?

I am given the message that no scanners were detected. I printed a network configuration sheet that shows that my Brother Online Connection is disabled. I need to figure out how to reestablish the connection.
I figured that rather than do an exhaustive internet search to try to figure it out for myself, it would be worth my while to pay someone a few bucks to help me resolve the issue quickly because this is not how I want to spend my day.
This is taking too long. Just cancel my order and I will scan this document from work tomorrow. No service has been rendered, so you have nothing to charge me for.

Okay, I will send in your refund request. Thank you.

Cool.
John, Computer Science Engineer