Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

It's not printing properly. It appears that the problem

Customer Question

It's not printing properly. It appears that the problem could be with the black ink only. How can I expose the cartridges to check whether someone has thrown in one of the cheap brands (I hate them).
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: XP-420 -even though it's not a dear one, it's not all that old. Not more than 6 months I would guess.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac Air laptop using Mac OS Sierra and article is on Safari.. Surely the problem couldn't be through Safari could it?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Been a problem this last week. The other printer (Epson 400 I think) seems to be cactus altogether.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I really would like to know how to expose the cartridges. I'd be grateful for any help at all.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

This is not an automatic process as on some other printers, some menu steps are required prior to physical replacement:
Press the home (house icon) button and select Setup (wrench icon) > Maintenance > Ink Cartridge Replacement.

Lift up the scanner unit (below the glass)

Open the cartridge cover

Squeeze the tab on the cartridge and lift the cartridge straight up to remove it.

Gently shake the new cartridge four or five times, then remove the cartridge from the package, removing the yellow tape.

Insert the new cartridge into the holder and push it down until it clicks into place.

Close the cartridge cover and push it down until it clicks into place.

Select Check on the LCD screen to make sure the cartridge or cartridges are installed correctly.

Close the scanner unit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried to cancel my request when I realised that I had been charged $46 ("fully refundable $5", was the information given) instead of $5. Then I tried to cancel because I couldn't get past the page that wanted $46 /month. I am not paying a monthly fee.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.
You are not obligated to a membership that is optional and you may use this as a one time service. I provided an answe above.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.