Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Second opinion] Photos are printing with pink stripes evenly…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Photos are...

Second opinion] Photos are printing with pink stripes evenly throughout image

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

Canon MP970 Series Version 12.4 (543.2)

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

MAC OS 10.12.5 (16F73)

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It's been an issue for less than a year but over 5 months. I just quit what I was trying to do the first time. This is the second time I've tried to print photos and this time it's within a booklet that will include text. I tried printing a page without the text and it didn't make any difference.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing else - just what I need to do to correct the problem. I didi put the printer through all the cleaning operations yesterday.Cal me at(###) ###-####or email me at***@******.*** DO NOT SEND A TEXT.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
7/29/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Pink stripes... that might mean that one color is missing in your printer's ink set.

First, check ink levels. One color, perhaps Cyan (light blue) might be low and need replacing.

Second, do a Nozzle Check print, or a similar color test print. Is one color of the four ink colors (Black, Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow) missing from the text print?

I've checked levels and done the cleaning and test print operations. The lesser black stripe is very faint but I just put a new cartridge in.

But: are the three primary "color colors" - Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow - all present in test prints, and not faint nor striped? this is important to go back and check on.

All the ink levels are 50% or full. The test page if faint in all colors and black is missing.
29 July 2017 02:52

I think you should try a certain cleaning procedure that I have found effective, first.

In outline:
1. Clean the printhead, using the Menu functions on either printer or on the computer.
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether ink is showing up better (or for the black, at all) in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thanks.

(If you need further help with this issue though, just Reply and I will continue to advise and assist you.)