Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

I replaced the magenta and blue cartridges with

Customer Question

I replaced the magenta and blue cartridges with remanufactured cartridges from officemax and the lights won't go off.
JA: What's the model of your printer?
Customer: HP Officejet Pro K5400
JA: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?
Customer: No error messages. Just blinking lights. If I open the door the lights go out, but when I issue a print command, the lights start to blink again.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I heard that HP did something with the firmware in 2016 to allow remanufactured cartridges to work. Is that true?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Sadique. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Yes, it's true HP released a firmware update in October 2016 which removes previous security firmware that may prevent the printer from working with certain ink supplies that contain non-HP security chips.