Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Canon printer will not accept new cartridge. Says the

Customer Question
Canon printer will not...

Canon printer will not accept new cartridge. Says the cartridge is empty but I've tried 2 new cartridges. Won't work

Technician's Assistant: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

No about 10 years

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Printing from pic. What are you asking about operating system

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It said ink was empty so I replaced it. A few days

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
7/28/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Sometimes when you put in a new cartridge, you transfer a little bit of static electricity into the printer. This can, sooner or later, cause failure of the printer's circuitry, esp. that which deals with the cartridges.

Try unplugging the printer from the power, while it is On.

Then leave it for at least 1 or 2 hours.

Then plug it in, and see whether it now recognizes the new cartridge.

Let me know how it goes, please.. with a 10-years-old printer, I should not hold out any false hopes. But the above should be tried, once.