John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Second opinion] It is printing blank pages and the ink is

Customer Question

Second opinion] It is printing blank pages and the ink is full. I have done the head cleaning, nozzle check, turned it off, cleaned the printer heads with alcohol, turned in off again.. and it still prints only blank pages!!! I am so sick of this printer - one problem after another. Please help
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Telling me the printer is bad and I need to return it IS NOT AN ANWER and I WILL NOT PAY FOR THAT. Seriously? Can someone else help?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I will try to advise you properly as to the best hopes for your printer.

What maker, and model, is your printer, please?

I don't know the model # nor whether it can make photocopies, but if it can, try doing one page of test photocopy with the original document laid face-down on the glass sheet. Does that also come out blank?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Epson XP-410 The photocopy doesn't work either - blank

OK, blank any which way. Very well, then your printer has a problem in the ink system somewhere.

Has it been disused for a period, recently, perhaps?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I went about a month without using it but I cleaned the heads, replaced the ink, and a nozzle check and everything else under maintenance
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have turned it on and off twice and done everything twice

OK...

I think you should try a certain cleaning procedure that I have found effective, first.

In outline:

1. Clean the printhead, using the Maintenance functions in your printer's Menu or Setup Menu.

2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)

This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.

3. Clean the printhead a second time.

4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.

5. Clean the printhead a third time.

Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Terrible advice. I have done that and said that I had done that from the beginning. I am not paying for this "advice" from either one of your "experts"

Well... you did not say that you had tried head cleaning with the intervals, pauses, triple repetition, and looking for progress, that I recommended in the above procedure.

I'm sorry to say that your printer's inking system and/or printhead may be clogged beyond your fixing it. A month without usage, and turned Off, is hard on a printer of the inkjet type.

Would you like further advice of any sort that I can provide? I'm sorry that the news isn't better.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No - total waste of time to log in to this service.

I'm sorry to hear that is your opinion. In case another Expert might please better with a different advice - I doubt it, but it is faintly possible - I have Opted Out of this case, opening it free of any additional charge to other Experts in this category. Thank you for following the process this far.

Expert:  crash2199 replied 2 months ago.

I apologize for the long wait for a response.

Do you still need help with your issue?