Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

The print quality is even poorer after cleaning head 4 times

Customer Question

The print quality is even poorer after cleaning head 4 times according to manual. I changed the ink cartridge before cleaning head.
JA: What's the brand and model of your printer?
Customer: EPSON Stylus Office TX600FW
JA: How long has this been going on with your Stylus?
Customer: The printer was given as a gift to me by my colleague before she left Australia two years. It is the first time that I used the printer.
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: There is Windows 7 system in the computer, I haven't updated the Windows system for 3 or 4 months.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to use the printer at the moment, and haven't checked if the scan and photo functions work properly.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Richard, the printing quality is not improved. When I tried to do nozzle check after printing again, the paper jammed. After I removed jammed paper, and printed the third time after your instruction, there is nothing printed, that is to say, a blank paper from printer.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Thanks
Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.
then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.
Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.
Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes
Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please
This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What area need I clean? I have removed ink cartridge.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
turned off the printer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

The area where the ink cartridges go into

using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.
Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is a Q-Tip?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

This is what you use to clean your ears with, can also be known as a cotton bud

The cotton on the end of a stick.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
May I used the liquid to clean LCD screen to clean them?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

No, that will not remove ink, but nail polish removal would work, or metholated spirits.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have neither of them
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Or the liquid to clean window or mirror?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will use warm water
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

yes that is ok, you just need to scrub harder to remove any ink

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Richard, I have scrubbed the surrounding of the head and there are more ink in the points of heads.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok, clean it all up, complete the rest of the instructions I gave and let me know the results please.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Every time when I used the wet cotton tip to scrub the head, there is much ink.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

You are scrubbing where the ink cartridge goes into correct? Not the actual ink cartridge itself?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They are the head in printer.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

good, you need to keep cleaning till it is cleaned please

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Richard, I don't think the the residual of ink can be 100% removed from the head. From the lightening of penetrated ink's thickness, I think most ink has been removed.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok, you will have to do the best you can and remove as much as possible, it can all be removed as it is spilt ink but remove as much as possible and let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Richard, I finished the instruction you provided. After I turned on the printer, the printer did a ink checking and told me to replace cyan ink cartridge which I need to order tomorrow and won't receive until next Tuesday probably. May I contact next Tuesday after I receive the new ink cartridge?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Yes that is no problem, I will mark this question to remain open so If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can I contact you next Tuesday? Need I pay again?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

No you do not pay again, you just return to this page (you have links here in your emails from us) and post a message, exactly like you are doing now, it will come directly to me.

I am here working next Tuesday

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank very much, Richard.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Your welcome and please take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Richard, I replaced cyan ink cartridge. There is still nothing printed out after I did nozzle check of the printer.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Thanks

It is the internal printhead that has faulted, this well and truley confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think the warranty expired. Where can I send the printer for repair?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok, in this case it is not worth the cost of a repair due to the limited warranty you get with the repair and the low cost of printers. You can take it into any computer store to have the repair done, but in the long run it would be a lot cheaper to purchase a replacement.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But why the printer was working last week before I contacted you?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

As with any device they fail, it was working and then they failed and we ruled out all the reasons that caused this to confirm it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried to print something last week before I contacted. Every fourth line was missing. At that time I thought it was ink problem or the head was not clean.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok... I am not sure sorry what more you wish me to say? Yes it did work, then it started failing and has completed the failure which is typical for this issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just want to know the reason.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The nozzle check is okay.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

The printhead has faulted, this is the reason for the cause, the printhead inside the printer has faulted.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you