Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a Microline 591 and I need to adjust the printer

Customer Question

I have a Microline 591 and I need to adjust the printer head.
JA: What's the brand and model of your printer?
Customer: Okidata Microline 591
JA: How long has this been going on with your Okidata printer?
Customer: Several weeks, I replaced the ribbon and it is still printing very light.
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: I'm using an old dos Q&A system with Windows XP, which can't be updated. What I need is instructions on how to change the printhead gap adjustment.
JA: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

On the printer, go to Menu Mode and change the setting for Printhead Gap Adjust under the Group Setup.

The default setting is 0. If the printing is lighter, change the setting to-1; if it's darker, change it to +1.

So in this case, if it is 0, set it to -1.

Normally the Gap is set automatically by the printer, when powered On. It moves the printhead back and forth, and senses the paper thickness and sets the gap value accordingly.

If that doesn't help, the printer may either need the printhead replaced, or need servicing or replacement of the whole printer.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know all this from the manual but what I need is instructions to do the printhead gap adjustment. It is now set at 1+ and it is too light.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You can't connect to the computer that this printer is connected. It is running a dos system on Windows XP and not connected to the internet.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you walk me through the sets to adjust the gap???
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, steps to adjust?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still there???