Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

HP printer C5580 All-in-one, has a carriage jam error I have

Customer Question
followed the HP videos on...
HP printer C5580 All-in-one, has a carriage jam error I have followed the HP videos on clearing the jam and I still get the repeated error each time.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: HO Photosmart C5580 All-in-One Where can I find a model number other than this?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Printer has not been in use because I haven't had ink. Replaced the both black and white ink and color not white
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
7/27/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This message indicates a carriage fault or defect. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Nathan,
After cleaning the encoder strip, unplugging, and holding the power for 60 sec, and another 60 seconds. During the seoncd 60 seconds the printer goes through its setup of "Aligning cartiges". Then an error occurs saying "carriage jam".

Thank you for trying,

does the carriage move freely by hand, or is it stuck in a particular spot?

The carraige moves freely with out much resistance. The silver rail looks clean as well.

Thank you for confirming,

you can run through the steps once more just to make sure nothing was missed, but beyond that the persistence of the error would confirm a hardware failure.

In this instance since it moves freely, it would be a defective component in the carriage drive, meaning a bad logic board, bad motor, or bad sensor.

For a 2008 model printer, none of those would be surprising to see as this unit was designed by HP for a service life of no more than 3 years. It would not be worth fixing at this point as it would run you $200+ in repair costs while you could buy a brand new and updated model with a fresh warranty for less than half that.

I can recommend replacement options for you, if you would like.

Replacement options meaning new units / parts? A shame I just bought new ink today and put it in the printer

Meaning a new printer.

Repairing it is simply not feasible. The likely issue here is a bad logic board and that can easily be $200+ just in parts costs.

Unfortunately too those inks will all be a waste, unless you can try to return them to the store where they were purchased. Sometimes you can convince the manager to take the inks back and at least give you a store credit to put toward a new printer. No currently available models will use the same inks either.

I also wouldn't recommend any current HP models anyway, even if they did use the same ink. Their quality has gone down considerably in recent years, their inks are the most expensive of all the brands, and their support is virtually nonexistant.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2iDSGsO or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

Nathan, Engineer