Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Error message OXf1 - please help, workforce 3640, Macbook

Customer Question

Error message OXf1 - please help
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: workforce 3640
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Macbook air
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Don't remember. The printer was used for a couple months when I was away. When I tried to use it again and turned it on, I received the error message
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It was connected to another Macbook but it doesn't work on that either
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well into if not past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,