Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I cant get the wifi to connect to the printer, canon mx492,

Customer Question

I cant get the wifi to connect to the printer
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: canon mx492
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I had it hooked up to wifi in florida and since ive been home, it cant pick up the wifi signal
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Im very familiar with the mx 492, and I actually have an old model sitting in my office currently/

Most likely, all we need to do here is go into the device settings, wlan settings, and have it connect to the new network.

Do you know your new or current wireless network name, and password?

If so, have you tried using the machines control panel and settings button to manually connect the machine to the current wifi network?

Thank you for your reply,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my password ***** ***** numbers. how do I use the number keys on the keypad?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a password ***** all numbers. how do I access the number keys on the keyboard of the printer?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

when entering the password, its either the pound symbol, or the star symbol that switches it to numbers, symbols or letters.

So when entering the password ***** one of those keys and then hit a number. That will let you enter the numbers.

Let me know if you get stuck or run into any issues.

Please rate this solution with the 5 star rating to close out as it is the only way i am credited for assisting you.

If you need further assistance, just leave a reply and we will continue.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Sr. Technician and former Network Switching System operator & maintainer with the US Signal Corp, (abn)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can you tell me how to do it before I commit to spending more money?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok
let me try that
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Theres no need to spend any more money, this is an issue we can handle via written support.

So try the suggestion I made, and if you can connect the printer to wireless. We still have a few steps to do on the computer itself. So keep me posted.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think I have success
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Excellent. Now, to connect the printer to your PC.

Go to your control panel, devices and printers screen. Right click and delete any old copies of the mx492 printer.

Then, click add printer, it should scan and find the mx492 wirelessly, and then let you add it. If all goes well, you should be ready to print. If you run into any issues let me know.

At this time it would be appropriate to click and submit a 5 star rating to show that I was able to assist you, as thats the only way I am credited for my time.

Thank you for your response,

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Hello again, I never heard back from you, did you still want help with this issue, if so please respond and I can either assist you over the phone, or connect to your computer directly or just work by email.

If my suggestions fixed the issue, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating as thats the only way I am credited for my time and effort in helping you.

If you no longer want help please respond so I can send you the refund link.

Thank you,

Dustin S