Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Bought Epson xp720 yesterday from Harvey norman plugged in

Customer Question

bought Epson xp720 yesterday from Harvey norman plugged in to install removed all protective materials from inside etc. Have been able to press English on panel, then message comes up Open the scanner unit and remove all protective materials inside the printer. There is no protective materials left inside and the cartridge holder will not move to the left, seems like the sensor or something is stopping it from moving. I have checked the packing that was over the cartridge section and nothing is torn off.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was two hours old from the shop when I opened the box. Epson XP720
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I was at my brothers and he was Windows 10.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was an immediate problem. It was a new printer!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: Nothing - new printer
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The cartridge carrier is sensed as being unable to move. That explains the message about removing all protective materials from inside - there are shipping inserts, and pieces of tape sometimes, that keep the cartridge carrier from sliding about.

The inserts are usually styrofoam and quite easy to see, but sometimes a cardboard insert is used instead.

Please re-examine for any sort of folded cardboard that might be holding the cartridge carrier in place and keeping it from moving.

After that... if you followed written directions or a diagram, for unpacking this printer, then the only conclusion available would be, that it is defective from store/vendor, and you should in that event, pack it up again, report the failure at once to the store or vendor, and return it packed up and with the sales slip as soon as feasible, to get it exchanged for one that isn't defective, does fully work, and is the same model or one of equal or greater value and equivalent capabilities.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.