John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have an Epson3A92AC/Stylus NX420 and I keep getting a

Customer Question

I have an Epson3A92AC/Stylus NX420 and I keep getting a "communication error" message as the computers aren't being allowed access to this printer.. It's a wireless hook up and it was working a few days ago
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 3 or 4 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: an iMac and a G5 mac based computer
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing., it was printing last week..but it's been doing this on and off for about the last 2 weeks. Then all of a sudden it allows me to print
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's about it
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OS Yosemite 10.10.5
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Let me know the results pl

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Off to unplug
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I hope it's that simple...
and I just remembered this., the printer wanted to have it's Default settings re-set and I did that about 30 minutes ago. It's never asked me to do that before
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

thanks, ***** ***** know the results please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK..did the 10 minute plus unplug...Plugged it back in and tried to print and it's still flashing the yellow warning and it's still saying printer is offline/communication error
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Thanks

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's clean as a whistle in there. no ink inside the printer or the rest of it.,
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'll power off and clean as you've requested though...but I'm not confident this is going to work either
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, though let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I certainly will....I couldn't get my hand and a rag into the printer the opening is just too small....so I used compressed air and spray the hell of the inside and used cleaning alcohol on the four heads.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sprayed the hell out of i
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK...plugged it back after re-installing the cartridges...waited while it "woke up" ...Tried to print but instead of getting the RED stop sign first and then the yellow caution sign with the words "printer is offline and this communication error"., wording., the Red stop sign didn't appear it just went straight into yellow
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried using the iMac to print from and the red stop sign did reappear., so nothing's changed
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Is it connecting via a usb cable or wireless?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
wireless
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Thanks

What is the make and model of your wifi router?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have no idea it's what ever Time Warner plugged in. because I don't remember buying one
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, remove the power to the wifi router, wait 5 minutes, connect the power then restart the mac and try to print please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That stuff is in a room where someone is sleeping at the moment., or I'd go in and root around
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

I understand, but we have to do this step please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will as soon as she wakes up.....
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'll just unplug everything and sit and wait those 5 minutes...please help someone else in the meantime this could take about 30 minutes...
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK...I unplugged the WiFi unit actually I shut down the entire unit but after 5+ minutes tried printing again and still no luck.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, on the back of the router is a reset button.

Use a paperclip and hold the reset button on for 10 seconds then release.

Then wait 5 minutes, power off the printer, power it on and restart the mac

Then try to print

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This will be done within the next hour., have to feed the "herd"....
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

thank you