Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Cannon Pixma ip6600d printer. Worked ok yesterday. Today,

Customer Question

Cannon Pixma ip6600d printer. Worked ok yesterday. Today, printer head not installed. Removed ink and printer head. Cleaned with rubbing alcohol and reinstalled. Same message. Pulled power and waited 10 minutes. Same message appears. HELP
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It acted up the same way about 2 weeks ago. Opening and closing the door seemed to correct the problem. The printer is about 7 years old, but not used much
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Pc, windows 10 now, windows 8 when new
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: One time it worked, the next time no go
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, will it be better for me to buy a new one?
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2006 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

The note of "not used much" is actually far worse for these printers than regular consistent use as it leads to clogging which causes the head to overheat and fail.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,