Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

MY BROTHER PRINTER JUST WENT SOUTH ON ME I HOOKED UP MYCANON

Customer Question

MY BROTHER PRINTER JUST WENT SOUTH ON ME I HOOKED UP MYCANON MX459 PUT IN NEW INK IT WILL RUN PAPER THROUGH BUT NO PRINT
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: JUST TODAY WINDOWS 10, OFFICE 2010
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: GUESS NOT U R THE SMART ONE ON THIS DEAL
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

If the printer has been sitting unused, that would contribute to it. These inkjets require consistent use, at least weekly, otherwise they dry out and clog up, then when you try to print again eventually the nozzles overheat and are permanently damaged.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.