Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert
30970729

I have a Roland VP540i printer and it isn't printing black.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Roland VP540i printer and it isn't printing black. I hadn't printed on it for about 1 week before I discovered this. I tried suctioning the ink through the cap top, but nothing comes out and the action is very difficult to pull. I cleaned the cap top and tube going to the pump, but no luck. Can you help?
JA: Have you tried running your printer's self-cleaning cycle? (Sometimes you have to run this several times to see results.)
Customer: Yes. twice. Do I need to try a couple more times?
JA: Have you tried wiping down the metal contacts on your printer and cartridges?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The heads were all replaced by certified technician two years ago. The printer doesn't see a lot of printing, but I print something at least once per week .
Category: Printers
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

When did it last successfully print in black?

Can you try running a few more self-cleans and let me know if there is any improvement?
If there isn't then the problem is with the print head and it will need to be replaced.