John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Second opinion] it seems to have gone dead; the screen is

Customer Question

Second opinion] it seems to have gone dead; the screen is dark; pressing the on/off button and unplugging/replugging make no differenceJA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?Customer: HL-L238ODW; 2 years oldJA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?Customer: 1) macOS Sierra 10.12.5; 2) macOS 10.9.5JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?Customer: tried to print; it made a noise as if it were going to print; but there was no paper; I put paper in, but the screen remained dark and there was no further noiseJA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?Customer: that's all I know
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If the power light is On, then your printer has something severe wrong with it if the touch-screen is Off. Try unplugging it from power to turn it Off, then leaving it that way for at least 20 minutes.

Then plug it in to power again - to a different outlet, or at least a different plug. Let me know what result you get, watching it closely.