Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers
16433418

I have an OfficeJet 2620 copy/fax/scan/print that has

Customer Question

I have an OfficeJet 2620 copy/fax/scan/print that has stopped communicating with the computer for the purposes of scanning. Copying and printing seem to be just fine.
JA: How are you connecting to your OfficeJet: wirelessly or by USB?
Customer: USB
JA: When did you last update the printer driver software?
Customer: Ummmmm........ maybe never!
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it, I think.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What computer are you using ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
An older model Mac Mini
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

What version of Mac OS X are you using on it ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac to see the version number

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

First we can reset your printing system and see if it works or not.

1. Go to System Preferences from the Apple menu or from the Dock.
  2. Open Printers and Scanners
  3. Hold down control and click (or Right click) on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu (or hold down Option key and click - button at bottom left and click Reset Printing System)

After resetting, your Printer will disappear from the list. Then disconnect the printer from your Mac and connect it to another USB port. Then click the + button in there (in left corner) and add it back.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, that fixed it.....sort of. I can open the System Preferences and start the scanner from there and it works fine. However, trying to scan directly from the menu on the printer doesn't work still.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

You can use Image Capture app from Applications folder to scan with advanced options.

If you would like to scan directly from printer, then we may need to reinstall the latest drivers. Go to this website --> http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip

This will download HP Easy Start application. Use it to reinstall drivers. Does it work ?