crash2199
crash2199, Technician
Experience:  5+ years as Tech
50836188

Its saying paper jump alarm, but there is no paper jump,

Customer Question

hello, its saying paper jump alarm, but there is no paper jump
JA: What's the make and model of the printer?
Customer: Canon MX310
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it was working perfectly i just printed couple of pages normally and the 3rd page its saying jump and i can do nothing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  crash2199 replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

With the printer powered on, remove the power cord from the back.

Wait 2 minutes

Plug back in the power cord and power it on

Do you still have the error?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Please make sure that you follow my steps carefully. The steps ask that you allow 2 minutes for the printer to be unplugged and it has only been around 1 minute since I provided the steps to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me do it again
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Disconnected now
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me know when to connect

Go ahead and connect it now

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
connected
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
same alarm
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have any jump.

Do you mean paper jam?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry, it is saying 'paper jammed'

Have you opened the printer and checked all locations for a jam?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
disconnected all cables, open the opened the upper part, turned it upside down, there is nothing inside
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is there a way to reset the alarm?

The only way to "reset" the alarm was by removing the power cord but if there is a jam or it thinks there is a jam then it will continue.

Open the lid and remove the ink cartridges and check for a jam under the carriage.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok one sec

Sure; take your time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't remove cartridge. Its not moving, its on the very right side, how can i move it to the left without breaking it?

Take a look here so you can see the tab that you need to release: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART153386

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't find the button to move cartridge, so i just moved it by my hand. Removed both cartridges, still got alarm. I have this air for computer so I used it to blow everywhere if there is any dust. Nothing - still getting alarm

Is the error on the printer or computer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
only alarm, paper jammed. I tried to do "roller cleanup" from Maintenance, but its saying "finished successfully" and doing nothing

Is the alarm message on the printer or computer screen?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Printer

If you have confirmed that there isn't a paper jam within the printer then there is a sensor error that need to be replaced.

How old is the printer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Printer is very old :) But it was working great, I don't want to through it away
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it printer just fine today morning 2 papers and for the 3rd one - start saying that

I understand but a printer or any piece of electronic can work one minute and crash the next minute.

Unfortunately, the error that you are experiencing is an internal failure which would require repair/replacement. The bad news is that your printer is outside of warranty and it would cost more to repair the printer than to buy a new one. You can purchase a new one for around $50-$60 at a local electronics store such as Best Buy.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see ok thank you

You're very welcome! Thank you for being so patient and understanding during a bad news type situation.

If you have any questions, please let me know otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Josh, I have a question for you. If I buy same model, it will be cheaper for the ink and number of pager for each ink or better to buy a newer model?

It would be more difficult to find that exact printer since it is an older model but you can buy it around $99 on eBay.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My question was about the ink. Is it better buy an older model or new

Newer model -- Newer models come with a 1 year warranty