Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have inserted all new cartridges but the print type is all

Customer Question
blotchy after numerous copies still JA...
I have inserted all new cartridges but the print type is all blotchy after numerous copies still
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: MFC-J650DW
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC 2010
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: sorry 2016 year. All was good before ink ran out and inserted new cartridges
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: not at this time. troubleshooting was saying to use another port which i have done but no different
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
5/11/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Thank you Nathan. I only purchased the printer 10months past, and hardly used. the troubleshooting message says: ISB composite device is an older USB device and might not work with USB 3.0

Thank you for confirming.

This is an older model, that just means someone sold you old stock. The good news there is that it should be under warranty if all else fails.

The usb message you are getting is not a problem, it just means it is an older printer and isn't as fast as some newer devices.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer