Jon
Jon, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Data Systems Analyst for a School District
97029936

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.8 laptop, do you have new printers

Customer Question

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.8 laptop, do you have new printers compatible with this version of Mac? I just bought a new HP printer to find out it is not compatible.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is about 6 years old, I thought I gave you the model number, what should I be looking for.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MacBook Pro
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: My previous printer died, and I just bought a new HP OfficeJet 6956 All in One.
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: He did some research and discovered that HP don't have software to suit my computer. He suggested I take it back and see if I can buy a printer which will work off my system as the latest HP won't. I was just trying to find out if Cannon have a model that work on my Mac
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jon replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** me to briefly go over your original question so I don't miss any details.

Expert:  Jon replied 5 months ago.

First, its not really the printer that is the problem as if you look at the following link it states that OS X v10.9 Mavericks, OS X v10.10 Yosemite, OS X v10.11 El Capitan are compatible meaning that its your version of OS which is 10.6.8 is very old. Therefore before you take the printer back, I would try and see if your macbook can upgrade to the most recent version of MAC OS which is 10.12. Or since 10.12 requires 10.7 already installed you may have no choice but to upgrade to 10.11 El Capitan first and then you can stay there or then upgrade again to 10.12 Sierra.

Expert:  Jon replied 5 months ago.

IN order to upgrade first you need to make sure you have at least 2GB of memory. You can find this on your mac by clicking the apple and then choosing "about this mac".

Then you can download El Capitan from the following site https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12 and then follow the onscreen instructions. Once that is complete then let me know and then I can help you download the drivers if needed for your printer. Sometimes mac will already recognize the drivers but we can check later.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok all too hard, looks like I need to upgrade computer
Expert:  Jon replied 5 months ago.
We can go step by step if you would like. The first step is to check how much memory your computer has which only takes 2 mouse clicks from your desktop1. Click the Apple
2. Click "about this Mac"Then let me know how much memory and then we can go to the next step. 1 step at a time is fine with me .
Expert:  Jon replied 5 months ago.

It has been a several days without a response. You can either respond to the question when you are ready to continue or you can close/opt-out of your question.

Thanks.