Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert
30970729

I pulled the sealing tape out of my cannon 118 cartage, but

Customer Question

I pulled the sealing tape out of my cannon 118 cartage, but it is still giving me a message to remove tab/tape.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Maybe 4 years, its a MF8580cwd image class. Yes this is the second time, I was using another brand before and did not have any problems. I ordered the cannon and am on my second one without any luck. I though I might have done something wrong with the first one.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC - Microsoft
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing it was running fine. When the last cartrage did not work, I put the old one back in and it worked fine. Now I am trying my 2nd new one and it is giving me the same message. Maybe I should try another brand?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: No, everything else works fine with the printer. It's just these new cartridges I am trying to use.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

This will happen if the printer is unable to detect the new cartridge.

Try removing the cartridge and wiping the gold contact area carefully with a lint-free cloth, lightly soaked in alcohol.

Then put the cartridge firmly back into the printer.

Let me know if that works?

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press submit at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------