Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8620 printer it is telling me I

Customer Question

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8620 printer it is telling me I have a missing or failed printhead....How do I fix that
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Three years old, and where do I find the model number?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: It is a PC and AOL, I am a music teacher, I am not sure what you mean
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just today, 2 hours ago
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No, I use it for school every day to run off some music fun papers
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is at/past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please cancel this series ice thank you.***@******.***
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cancel this ASAP
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

I cannot cancel anything, we're all independent techs working here on our own personal time in a good faith effort to help you.

If you need more information, I'd be happy to assist further. Otherwise, I do apologize again for the news. The information I provided above is a normal and inevitable hardware failure that HP printers experience when they reach the end of their designed service lives. Had you taken it in to a repair shop, they'd charge you a minimum of a $100 diagnostic fee for the exact same answer.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2iDSGsO or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help. Similarly, asking for a refund of the service fees you agreed to has the effect of forcing me to work for free for my time spent advising you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.