Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

Epson WF-545 shows a scanner error message. This has

Customer Question

Epson WF-545 shows a scanner error message. This has happened before and I've been able to correct it with turning off and on, or unplugging and replugging it in, or uninstalling and reinstalling the software in an Apple iMac running the most recent IOS. Now, the printer will print, but a Scanner error message is on the screen and will not leave. An ink cartridge needed replacement this morning and I replaced it. Evidently the scanner error message is stuck and preventing the new cartridge from charging.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: C422A Ser. # PJWY373252
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: OSX El Capitan version 10.11.6 iMac
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: A couple of weeks. A local Mac Support person was here helping with a word processor publication issue (resolved) and typed in something that started the scanner problem.
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: We are using USB connection to the computer. We have not set up the FAX. Copying with this printer has caused the scanner error on a number of other occasions but I have always been able to stop it. Don't know if key stroke errors have caused the previous problems.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have turned off the printer and removed the power to the printer as directed. The Scanner Error message is still on the screen but the printer will now print. This is OK for the moment but is a problem with time as I don't get other error messages with that thing locked on there. Changing cartridges is a particular problem because you can't tell which cartridge is out of ink and you can't tell if the new cartridge is charging.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, thank you. I recognize that you need to be paid for your work, but believe Epson should be helping customers with items like this for free. Purchasing ink for this printer is already outrageously expensive and I am going to obtain another device rather than throw more money down this rat hole. What you have told me is what I have already done and it has cost me giving up my credit card info and $23.00.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, glad we got it now printing.

If you do a copy directly on the printer, does that work?