Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Im getting very inconsistent results with test pages. I I've

Customer Question

Im getting very inconsistent results with test pages. I I've done repeated cleanings and now have just realized that red keeps coming out yellow...?
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Canon iP7220
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just got the printer hooked up today.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Are you using the original cartridges that came with it, or by chance using some generic/refilled ones?
Can you double check that all the cartridges are actually in the correct slots?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Actually do not see a brand name on the cartridges or the box but yes they are all in the right slots.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Is it cartridges that came with it, or ones you purchased?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ones i purchased online. 2 sets for $39
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
cheap
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also they did sit in my mailbox until I got home so the temperature may have affected them.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm in Colorado and they got here yesterday which would have been single digit temperatures.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

That is the problem,

those cheap cartridges are often faulty right out of the box. Many times they are even refilled with the wrong ink, which is at least part of what you are experiencing with the discoloration. The rest of the inconsistency is related to overall poor ink quality, the pigments in these are not as fine as the oem inks, which causes them to clog up the print nozzles and can actually permanently damage the head.
The best thing you can do at this point is toss them out and buy a new set of the proper oem inks.

Several more repeated cleanings may be necessary after, and possibly some manual cleaning as well.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Seems a little odd though, have done a few cleanings and sometimes they come out perfect and then other times they don't even show any color for the magenta section at all.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

That is still owing to the inks and the inconsistent quality, it may work fine, then you can have it clog up, resolve through cleaning and have it clog right back up again

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Read something about running them under hot water.. good idea or no?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

No!

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Don't do plain water, you'll do more damage than good.
If you want to clean manually, use rubbing alcohol

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
On a paper towel?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Yes papertowel or qtips.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Towel for the bottom of the head (nozzles), clean the top side and ink ports with the qtips.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if I'm having trouble with one specific color out of all of the cartridges do you think there may be another cause aside from ink quality?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

That one cartridge may have been defective all along, or had worse ink in it, and that may have ultimately led to that particular grouping of nozzles being so badly clogged as to become damaged with use.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are there any factors relative to the install of the cartridges that may effect the performance of them?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Possibly..... negative pressure?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

If you mean the temperature? Room temp is preferred, they don't really freeze but if you have splotchy prints giving them a good shake can help, leaving them sit upright should help with that, and if you peel off the label on the top there are some small vent holes there that can help relieve pressure/vac situations, but an airlock/bubble issue with these is rare, and if you try to poke a new vent hole or open it up, then they just end up drying out if not used extremely quickly.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
34;and if you peel off the label on the top there are some small vent holes there that can help relieve pressure/vac situations,"...
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Sorry not sure what you are asking or concerned about?

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.