Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I need to re-connect my 5370 to my wireless network. The

Customer Question

Thanks, ***** ***** to re-connect my 5370 to my wireless network. The original Setup Wizard is (Mac) OS9 which no longer works. Also, the downloaded Wizard requires a Java Developer Kit, which didn't seem to work. Other options to suggest?
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: 5370 Brother purchased in 2009.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OS X....several computers connect to the same printer.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: One on 10.9, one on 10.11 and one on 10.12
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was making some modest changes with my router and lost these printers. I have 3 Brother printers...the other two are back online because I was able to restore from the printer itself. The 5370 apparently requires to be be reset from a computer.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, software, phones, tablets, e-readers, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Please click the link below to locate an updated driver. Please choose the correct version for the particular computer that you are trying to connect the printer to.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl5370dw_us

You may need to uninstall the current version that is on the MAC that you are having trouble with. Here's how:

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.

2. Select your printer or scanner in the list of devices, then click Delete (–) to remove it from the list.

3. Follow the steps to add your printer again.

4. If the issue persists, Control-click anywhere in the list of devices in Printers & Scanners preferences. Then choose “Reset printing system” from the shortcut menu that appears.
Resetting the printing system causes all printers and scanners—including their queues, jobs, and custom settings—to be removed from Printers & Scanners preferences.

5. Follow the steps to add your device again.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

If you find that you still have difficulty after that...try resetting the printer itself.

1 - Turn off the machine.

2 - Make sure that the front cover is closed and the power cord is plugged in.

3 - Hold down Go as you turn on the power switch. Keep Go pressed down until all the LEDs light up, and then the Status LED turns off.

4 - Release Go. Make sure that all the LEDs turn off.

5 - Press Go six times. Make sure that all the LEDs light up to indicate the print server has been reset to its factory default settings. The machine will restart.

Please give this a try and let me know the results. If this resolves your problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know. I am committed to working with you until your problem has been resolved. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tried this including the Factory Reset on the Printer...the 5370 does not show up in the printer list to add.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

What version of the MAC OS is o the computer that you're trying to connect the printer to?

From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X”.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

You will need to download and install the printer driver and software package for the printer. Please click the link below to locate an updated driver. Please choose the correct version for the particular computer that you are trying to connect the printer to.

After you've downloaded and installed it you should be able to use the printer. Please let me know if for some reason that doesn't work. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have done all suggested steps:Removed all printers
Reset the printing system
Downloaded the latest drivers
Reset the printer itself to back to factory settingsSee the graphic attached....no 5370 shows up in the available printers to add.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I have no further suggestions for troubleshooting. I will opt out and open it to other experts in the hopes that someone else can help. You'll be notified as soon as another expert picks it up. They will be able to see our entire conversation so there will be no need to repeat anything. Have a good evening!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** wait to hear.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 9 months ago.

you should be able to add the printer to the wifi network through the menu on the printer

have you tried that or do you need instructions ?

once you have done that it should show up in apple / preferences / printers when you press the +

you can also add it manually by the ip address which you can get from the printer menu by printing a network configuration page.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This printer does not have a menu...just a Go button.The Network config page shows no IP address...just 0.0.0.0 (a result of resetting to factory settings, I believe)

i see what you mean

you may have to borrow another computer just to use the install program to get it on the wifi

or hook it up by usb

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
seems that is now my only option.The Brother Setup Wizard that came with it is OS9 (on a CD). The new download version of the Wizard (for OS X, etc.) doesn't seem to work (and involves Java somehow).
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the USB option is easy, but not what I need.

i can try to help you get the java working

what is the exact message that you get ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not want to install any java. As you suggested earlier, I will have to find an older computer with Mac OS9 to use the original installer.

ok. just offering to do whatever i can to maybe get the new download to work.

If you are happy with using an older mac to get the wifi set up that is great

I hope you will find it in your heart to give me a good rating. Your rating is the only way that i can receive any credit from this site for my efforts

thank you :)