Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

It has a error message of E 02 after changing ink cartarage

Customer Question

hi it has a error message of E 02 after changing ink cartarage and it will not feed the paper correctly ???
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: ummm ??? 5 years ?? hardly used like 6 times in that time ... its a
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pixma MP495
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing i can think of .... i changed the ink cuz i knew it was empty
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no if i can just get thid issue resolved please so i can use my printer and not have wated 50$$ in ink in vain
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.