John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have an SX125 the blue inc was empty so I replaced it and

Customer Question

Hello, I have an SX125 the blue inc was empty so I replaced it and all of a sudden
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: the blank Ink now wants to be replaced even though before the changing operations it was like 80-90 %
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Epson SX125, couple of years well the indicators are the one side the ink level the others :) the green and the ink light are blinking so lamp 1 and 3
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: well just today I replaced the blue ink because it was nearly depleted
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: know, thank you
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

So, you replaced the blue ink cartridge today.

Has it still been saying, that it needs the blue ink replaced, even after that was done today?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Russel,no blue ink is ok now, it is just the black ink, which was like 80-90% before. Current status lamp one steady greeen, lamp three - steady red
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, the blue ink is ok, the black one is causing problems. Current status- first lamp steady green, third lamp steady red

If the third lamp is red, and that's the black ink, then check the black ink level, then replace it, I'd say.

The black ink is often low... I am assuming it is low ... because, black ink is used up on text / page printouts, which are quite common.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Russell,that cannot be, since before changing the blue ink, the level of the black one were 80-90. Besides the low black ink is showed with an X, I assume even this means depleted and not low...

OK.

Then remove the black ink briefly, and then put it back in. Close up the printer. Wait 2 minutes.

Does that satisfy the printer? or is it still showing an error and not ready to print yet?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately, that didn't help

OK... was the blue showing the same thing, before you replaced it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, it wasn't, only low level

OK. Are you reading current ink levels with your computer's software?

Or with the printer's own indicators?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Actually with both, ink level with the software and the indicators...well they refrain me from printing :)

Too bad, that's not good. Well... are you using Epson OEM-original cartridges? or 'compatible' or refilled or remanufactured cartridges, etc.?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well, they are original...

Try a hard reset of the printer:

unplug the printer while it is On, from the power.

Leave it that way for at least 15 minutes.

Plug in again after that long or longer.

Turn it On if needed. See if that clears the problem.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, will get back to you in 20 minutes, is it only pluging off? Anything I need to hold during start or something?

Just unplugging while it is On... that helps clear the memory internal to the printer, and clear any invalid statuses, so that it has to re-establish them on startup, etc. etc. Cools the circuitry down too, in case that might help.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately didn't work. Lamp1 and Lamp3 still steady llight green/red

Then you either have a defective printer, or a defective cartridge. Replacing the cartridge indicated, is one way of finding out. (By the way: when did you put the current black ink cartridge in? they don't last forever, no matter how little they are used...)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well I ordered one, let's see. It has been 1 month since the black one was replaced

So that's not long.

How old is the printer (again, if you have already told me) ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Some years, don't remember exactly 5-6

Then, if the cartridge is only 1 month old/in-use, and the printer is 5 or 6 y. old... you probably have a printer that has seen its last usefulness, I'm sorry to say.

But you could put another cartridge in it to see if that is the cheaper or more preferable alternative, if you like.

That's about all I can say about a case like this. Would you say the case is concluded? or is there more you need to know?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello thank you very much, maybe if you can send me the error codes, because steady green and red was not exactly described in the manual

Which light is steady green? or, next to which cartridge (if that's where the light is, on the carriage where the cartridges are?)

Which light is steady red? likewise.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lamp1 is steady green(the power one), Lamp 3 steady red(the drop one)

Ah. That gives me an idea.

Press firmly, and briefly (about 1 second) hold down, the ink drop button. (Or the button next to or the button containing the ink drop logo.)

Wait 5 minutes.

What is the result?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the same lamps blinking, the middle one as well I guess but a bit gloomy (might be a reflection of the neighbouring two)

Which ones are blinking, please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
power and ink one, paper is gloomy (might be the reflection from first and third one)

If Power, Ink, and Paper lights are all blinking, your printer is basically 'broken', I suspect.

Please confirm that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No sorry, it is Power and Ink, the other one was a reflection of both, I restarted the printer and now they are steady lightning again

Press and hold briefly, the ink button.

Then wait... a half hour to an hour. It might just straighten out again... those lights blinking meant, 'busy trying to fix the problem'.

Apparently an ink system problem.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well, thanks, ***** ***** it like that over the night (here it is 12 PM) to see what happens

OK. Good night.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, bye :)

OK.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Didn't help as the lamps are still there. Will try replacing the black ink, when I get the supply

OK. Let me know how it goes, then. Thanks.