Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have installed printer ink and my pages come out blank,

Customer Question

I have installed printer ink and my pages come out blank
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer?
Customer: 6500officejet
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Idon't know
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I just now put in new ink
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The printer worked fine until I put in the new ink.I am on a PC
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You have not helped me. Why can[t I speak to you?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

What happens is that when your prior ink went empty, the nozzles dried out and clogged up (prior to putting the new one in), so the above is the process to address that.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I sent you a detailed process above to follow, please read those steps and complete them.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You have not fixed my problem.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry I cannot do that process. I think the problem is more simple than that.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Following the cleaning process can resolve the issue,

even if it is just needed to get the new cartridge flowing.

I cannot help if you are not willing to at least try the steps I've suggested.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

If you don't believe me that it is a printer issue, make a copy on the printer itself (from the glass) and see if that comes out blank too, which will confirm it is a printer problem and not a computer issue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have finished and obviously not satisfied.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

You've done the cleaning process 5 times?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My printer just printed your instructions but will not copy
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

It will not copy from the glass? Test it in both black only mode and in color mode.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

If it works when printing, and/or for a color copy, but a black only mode copy does not, that confirms exactly what I've been saying from the beginning.

That there is a head/nozzle issue here. It is normal for the black nozzles to fail first as they get the most use.

When you print and color copy, it is mixing all the colors together to simulate black. In true black only mode it does not, so no black ink flowing through presents as a blank page.

You could try another new black cartridge to be safe, but really the clogged head is the primary issue here and is addressed via the cleaning process.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't do the cleaning process.Thank you for your help and what is the charge?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

May I ask why you are unable to? Do you need more specific instructions, or get an error message?
Your fee shows on the payment page, we're all independent techs here so I cannot see the account info, otherwise I'd be happy to help with that.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

If you are unable to clean, and hence to resolve the issue, then you'd be at the point of replacing the printer. Honestly though that was the likely outcome even after several cleanings. Remember that the printer is well over double its designed service life at this point, so seeing a failure at this age is far less surprising than it having lasted this long.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2iDSGsO or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,
--
Please note:
I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.
Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.