John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Jet5, vintage 1998 (or so). Workhorse! Been repaired. Got a

Customer Question

jet5, vintage 1998 (or so). Workhorse! Been repaired. Got a HP Pavilion all in one a couple of weeks ago. Want the LazerJet5 to operate with it (windows XP upgraded to Windows 10) Possible?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: As I wrote, vintage 1998, or so. HP LazerJet 5
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: As I wrote: HP POavilion all-in-one, Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: New computer (3 weeks ago, or so). Old printer working on Windows XP. Vendor (Best Buy) unable to set me up with hardware or software to get the printer going on the Pavilion/Windows 10
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Printer was repaired a couple of years ago, and has workred fine, and is working fine on my old systrem (Windows XP)
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

There is no driver for Windows 10 properly speaking.

However, you may try using a Compatibility Mode -set driver download... you will have to download it, save it to the hard drive, rather than choosing to Run the download, which will not result in any success.

Then locate the downloaded driver file. Right-click on it. Choose Properties.

Go to the Compatibility tab.

Select the checkbox and use Compatibility for Windows 7 64-bit, or just Windows 7 (if there's no 64-bit option mentioned).

Click on OK, to save the changed setting.

Then, double-click on the download you just changed Compatibility Mode settings for, and it will try adjust the file to run in a Windows 7 environment.

Since the download (see below) is for Windows 7 64-bit, that may just get it working.

Now the question is, what driver will you use?

- 1: What is the exact model # of your LaserJet 5 ? there were various models in the line. Some had an MXXXX model #, some a PXXXX model #, etc. etc.

See this page for a guide to some '5' models:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_LaserJet_5

- 2: What interface does it have? USB I hope. If not USB, you would need some sort of adapter, probably to a parallel interface at a guess. But tell me which one, please... and also, be sure, if it has a USB interface, it may not work unless you either have USB 1.1 USB ports, or unless you go into your PC's BIOS setup, and set the USB ports to compatibility with Legacy USB.

Let me know, and I will direct you to the right driver download.