Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have an Epson workforce 610 printer and sometimes it works

Customer Question
with my macbook pro and...
I have an Epson workforce 610 printer and sometimes it works with my macbook pro and then all of a sudden it says the printer is not connected. When I go back into the settings to remove the printer and then re-add it it just sits there and won't reattach
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I believe we bought it in 2009 or 2010. It says it's a workforce 610 all in one printer/fax/co[ier
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: It's a Mac running OS Sierra, 10.12.2
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Macbook Pro
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to print again & understand why it all of a sudden stops printing
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
1/7/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is your Epson printer?

Is it configured as a wireless printer, or is it on a USB cable?

Do you have any guess as to what you do before it starts working again? e.g. restarting your computer, rebooting the router, etc.- ?

It's a wireless printer. Usually I delete the old printer in settings and then re-add the printer again. Usually it doesn't work for a day or two and then magically it starts working again. VERY FRUSTRATING

Interesting and rather puzzling.

Is it On, or turned Off at all, during the day or two before it starts working again?

Have you installed the Epson drivers for 10.12 on your computer, at all?

Probably not installed the drivers. I'll try that
OK, downloaded Epson drivers, still not working, still not detecting the epson

I'm sorry to hear that.

Just to check: Are you sure you downloaded - and installed - the drivers for MAC OS X 10.12, for your exact model of printer, and from the Canon website and nowhere else (nowhere else could be as good a source of genuine driver downloads, than the Canon website) ?

No, I went to the Epson website. I'll check the canon website

Eh, sorry, I have so many cases, I thought yours was a Canon case. Epson! the Epson website! was what I meant.

You don't need to check with Canon. It's an Epson printer after all.

Has the printer always had this problem, through its 6 or 7 year lifetime of usage?

Or did the problem develop more recently? if so, roughly when?

I don't understand. Why would I goto the cannon website, and for clarity what is the correct URL for the cannon website?
Originally no, we did not experience this issue. It's only been over the last 3 years.

Again, I apologize for side-tracking to the Canon website. That's not important, and you have done the printer install just fine, I think.

One last question about that: did you remove the old installation first? and did you try printing to the new installation of the printer driver?

If your printer developed this problem about 3 years ago, then did you switch internet providers, or replace your local WiFi router box, or anything like that (something that would affect your local wireless network) ? about 3 years ago. ?

If you mean did I select the minus button to delete the printer, yes I did that prior to adding the printer to the system preferences. If you mean did I uninstall the print drivers, then no I did not. However when loading the driver software patch, it did deleted the old files.As to the the other, yes, we did switch internet providers twice in the last 4 years as well as a local wifi router.

If the WiFi router that you now have and use, was also in place 3 years ago, then that would be significant.

Is that the case?

No. It's about 3 months old

So, did you have the same problem, with the older router that was being used before this 3-months' router?

Then the problem is almost certainly in your printer.

(A basic check on the two other major possible causes of the printer's irregularities:

1. were you using the same computer to print with, to this problem printer, before 3 months ago, and in fact all the way back to 3 years ago?

and

2. does the computer you now have and print from, a good Internet Security suite on it, or at least a Firewall and an Anti-virus both running on it?

to all questions

Hmm... if you were using the same computer, then it might just be the computer software that is at fault.

What anti-virus utility, and what firewall, does your computer have on it, please?

Forget it. I think I'm just going to get a new printer. Thank you anyway

Agreed. That is probably the best thing to choose in this case.

If you are done with this case, before you go, please rate my work and my care in answering your question and determining the right answer. A five-star rating would best express appreciation of the work I did.

Thanks! and good luck with the new printer.

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech