Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Can you tell me why my Cannon MX922 Printer/scanner is only

Customer Question

Can you tell me why my Cannon MX922 Printer/scanner is only printing out solid white paper? The ink is full. When I print something is shoots out a white piece of paper. It sounds like its printing for me but again the paper is solid white.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: about two years old and no, this is the first time it has done this.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Does that mean you can't help and I should try troubleshooting some where else?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac, not sure on the Operating system
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It just started yesterday and up until it happened, it was running normal
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's all, thanks
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is at/past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I didn't see a "clean print head" option. I see cleaning, deep cleaning, clean rollers, clean bottom plates.
Which should I chose?
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

The cleaning is the same thing as clean printhead, run the cleaning first, and do deep cleaning if that doesn't work.