crash2199
crash2199, Technician
Experience:  5+ years as Tech
50836188

The printer message says that printer error has occurred.

Customer Question

the printer message says that printer error has occurred. Unplug the power cord and contact the service center.
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Cannon MX860, and it's purchsed in 2010.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac and OS X El Capitan.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: two days ago and it happened when I want to print some documents.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Printers
Expert:  crash2199 replied 6 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Usually, this error is an internal error that would require a repair/replacement but first, let's try something:

With the power on, remove the power cord from the back of the printer.

Wait 2 minutes

Plug the power cord back in and power it on.

Do you still have the error?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

If the steps did not fix the issue then unfortunately, it has a hardware failure and it would require replacement/repair. Since it is outside of the warranty phase, it can cost anywhere from $100-$300 depending on the exact issue and at that price point, you can buy a new printer that comes with a 1 year warranty. It is always up to the customer to decide if the cost of repair makes more financial sense than replacing the printer but I would recommend replacing the printer.

If you have anymore questions, please let me know otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 4 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Then, what should I do?