John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I just purchased a used Canon iPF765 with the same error

Customer Question

I just purchased a used Canon iPF765 with the same error code as the person with the iPF760: 03130031-2F13 . When powered on, the printer carriage sweeps across and then back and caps. Then the screen states the printer is filling with ink from the ink tanks, please wait. After about 5 minutes, there is three beeps and then the error message is displayed.
The printer had been working flawlessly up until last spring and then was not used for a period of about 3 months. When powered back on, the error occurred.
We are able to start in in service mode and it prints reports, etc. fine and everything seems to be working fine. I cleaned the linear encoder and the carriage rail. Both were not visibly soiled, but some black mist was removed.
The firmware is version 1.01, so obviously needs to be updated. I downloaded the imagePROGRAF Firmware Update Tool that I found referenced in a search item online and attempted to update. The program did report that the it could be updated to 1.12, but does not complete the update due to the error message being displayed. I tried the update in service mode and it states it did the update, but when I restart the printer (it never did it on it's own to indicate the update competed) it still states firmware 1.01.
The printer reports that the print head has 345 days elapsed and that the count MDot is 23,2188. Could it be the printhead? It prints just fine in service mode. The counter life total for the printer shows 59,529 and 39,964 ft*2.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Quick update: I just received updated info on the print head. It was replaced a few weeks before the previous owner stopped using the printer due to their business closing down the last week of May this year.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If it is a new print head, why would the count and days be high? Is it possible that it was not installed correctly and did not reset as a new print head? Since the printer head count has exceeded it's life expectancy according to Canon, would that trip the error code? How would I resolve this issue?
Expert:  crash2199 replied 9 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

It is always possible that the person did not actually replace the print head and stated they did because the count should reset after it is replaced properly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have the receipt for the printer head from last january. It was reportedly installed the end of May.

I understand and I am not saying that happened but there is no way to determine that he actually installed it even though he showed you a receipt of the purchase. The print head could have went into another printer or it could have been returned, etc.

I would recommend purchasing a print head yourself and installing it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am convinced that it was installed, but did not reset for some reason. The printer was maintained and serviced regularly prior to it' non-use for a month. Will the life expectancy for the printer head, if not reset, trigger the error code??
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can I re-install the printer head and cause it to reset? How much ink will it consume if I do so?

You can try to install the print head again to see if it will reset everything but there is no guarantee. If it doesn't reset and fix the issue then you will need to buy a new print head.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Josh, will the error code be thrown if the life expectancy of the printer head is exceeded??? If it's not the printer head that is throwing the code and in light of the previously mentioned history, what else would thrown this code based on your expert experience with this plotter?

The error code that you provided means the print head needs to be replaced so if the print head was never replaced or it was not inserted properly to reset the code then it would produce this error.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
From what I have researched, the error code is not exclusive of the printer head alone. Apparently, you are not familiar with this plotter. Is there someone else that can assist?

Absolutely -- I believe you are reading forums that state multiple items but the manual will state the print head needs to be replaced.

I will send this question back to the expert pool so another expert can assist you. You will receive a notification when they reply.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Canon states multiple items to investigate for the code and the actions to take in response. The printer head is one of the items to investigate. A question to you was will the life expectancy high count on the printer head throw the error code? Also, how do I update the firmware (a related issue also) be with the error message active?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The plotter throws the error code when attempting to replace printer head and will not complete process.