Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

It keeps saying "Print head is not installed, install print.

Customer Question

It keeps saying "Print head is not installed, install print. I bought all new Canon ink cartridges and installed them, but got same message. I have MX 700 printer. What now?
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Not until a couple of days ago. I got the printer in 2007 or 8.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC , Vista , Internet Explorer. 8
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This passed week...and I tried to figure out what to do. Not sure what you mean about what happened before....nothing I can recall.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I installed a non-Canon Magenta cartridge. Not sure if that caused problem. Today, I replaced all four cartridges with Canon ones, cleaned the print heads and the ones in the printer with alcohol. That' did not correct situation. I tried turning printer on and off...still says printer head installed.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2007 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please tell or show me the cleaning reset procedure you mentioned so I can try it. Thank you
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, and the printhead assembly, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back of the head (not the bottom nozzles), as well as where they mate up inside the printer/carriage, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the head and cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.
Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.