Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I just changed out a defective toner cartridge and got the

Customer Question

I just changed out a defective toner cartridge and got the printer back to the print mode. However, although all dials appear to read as normal, when the paper advances through the machine it comes out clean... no print at all. This happens whether I print from the internet or I lay a copy on the machine to print. What can I do?
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: It is a Konica Minolta magicolor 1690 mf and I am using the cartridges that are compatible for this model from Amazon. It has separate toner cartridges for yellow, cyan, magenta, and black.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: It is a PC but I have no idea was operating system. I am not a techie and have no real knowledge except to run simple operations. I need this computer for my job and it is causing real hardship for it to be not printing.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The problem started yesterday as I was replacing a toner cartridge (the black). I had bought this from a company that refurbished toner cartridges and this one simply ran out of ink immediately. So, I put in the one from Amazon. The cartridge would not seat in properly and all I can say is that the printer "ate it". That means that it advanced the cartridge even though it was not in place properly. I heard a grinding noise and could not retrieve the cartridge. I worked on and off for a full day advancing the cartridge back where I could get it out. It turns out that the cartridge had a roller that disengaged on one side and was defective. So, I changed it out with another one and the printer asked me to check all the other ones. I did it and all the dials said it was ready to go. It allowed me to put a copy on the top and it went through all the printing motions. But, it came out with no print at all on it. All toners are full and the fuser has been replaced. It should have been good to go.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have no idea. I just need to know if there is something that needs to be reset or what. I am at a loss and do not want to have to buy a new printer.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What toner cartridge did you put into the printer?

Check that the protective tape was removed from it... if that tape is still on, the toner cannot dispense from the cartridge, leading to blank pages.

What was the defect in the old cartridge, please? it might matter to this problem.

If this is a color laser printer, and you only put in one color of new toner, are you printing in only that one color? i.e. if you are printing in black, you know, that color's new cartridge being either tape-protected, or itself defective in a different way, could result in blank printouts of text, in black ink only.

Try a full-color print, just a small image in full color or the like so as not to waste ink.

If that still comes out OK, except maybe for what black-ink content it might have, then you just have a problem with the black color.

Or try a full-color copy (but a small one, to save ink.) See if the color at least comes out, if not the black.

If you changed out only one color, of color (not black) cartridge, then if that caused the machine to stop putting *anything* on the page, take that cartridge out again, and put in the other cartridge, even if it had a problem... after turning the machine Off for 10 minutes, and closing its doors meanwhile. See if that at least gets it printing (albeit defectively) again.

Let me know more details about what color you changed out, and how full-color tests, printing or photocopying, come out. I'll advise you further as needed.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.